As mentioned the puzzle is based on the WitEden Super 3x3x3; this is a puzzle that has two circular faces within two of the puzzle's regular faces. However they are locked into position, so before I could extend the circular faces, they had to be unlocked so as they could turn independently and function as required for a 3x3x5. I did this by swapping all the pieces of the WitEden Cube onto a regular 3x3x3 core; the WitEden core being the source of the “problem”, as the centre pieces of the circular faces latched onto the six armed core.
It was then simply a matter of extending the inner turning circles with cube shaped pieces to create the new layers of the puzzle and finally applying stickers to the puzzle.
In February 2012, a year after I finished building the 3x3x5, I decided to go back and tidy it up a little. I replaced the stickers with my own hand cut ones from vinyl material in my preferred colour scheme and also sanded the internal areas a little to improve turning quality.